Age is not the only thing to be blamed, as you will learn later on.
If you are looking for the best hair growth products that can help to stimulate growth, you should know the reasons behind hair loss.
What is Hair Loss?
Scientifically, hair loss is known as alopecia. It is one thing that is common for people who are aging, but as it will be discussed later on, there are other culprits for such health condition.
In humans, hair can grow in all parts of the body, except on the soles of your feet and palms of your hands. In the case of most average adults, the head is made of up to 150,000 strands of hair. However, on average, 100 strands are lost daily. The number of hair thins over time and hair growth goes at a slower rate when a person ages.
Most people might think that hair loss only leads to changes in physical appearance. However, there are also emotional impacts, which can be severe. A lot of people suffering from hair loss can also suffer from loss of their self-confidence. For this reason, it is important to identify the cause of the problem and take advantage of the best solutions that are available.
Hair loss or alopecia can be classified as follows:
- Involutional Alopecia: This is one thing that occurs naturally in all humans, which is the thinning of hair that results from aging. Hair follicles can either go to the resting stage. They can be fewer and shorter, and hence, hair loss will be apparent.
- Androgenic Alopecia: This kind of hair loss is because of a genetic condition. It is called male or female pattern baldness, depending on the gender of the person who has it. One of the first symptoms of such would be receding hairline.
- Alopecia Areata: With this condition, you will suffer from having bald patches, which is usually the size of a coin. More often than not, it will start on the scalp, although it also occurs in the other parts of the body.
- Alopecia Universalis: This leads to the falling out of body hair, including eyelashes, eyebrows, and pubic hair.
- Trichotillomania: This is common in children. This is a psychological disorder wherein a person pulls hair, which leads to hair loss.
- Telogen Effluvium: There is a temporary thinning of hair in the scalp through its growth. Most of the time, your hair will be thin, but it seems like you have not lost them at all.
- Scarring Alopecia: This is also called cicatricial alopecia, which completely destroys the hair follicle.
What are the Causes of Hair Loss?
Now that you have a primer knowledge of hair loss and its different types, let me introduce you to the most common causes of hair loss in both men and women:
- Age: When you get older, hair growth tends to slow down. Your hair will inevitably be thinner, shorter, and fewer.
- Hormones: Bodily hormones, especially androgens, can also be the culprit for hair loss. An imbalance of male and female sex hormones is a leading cause of the problem.
- Genetics: Hair loss is a condition that runs in the blood. If you have a family history of hair loss, you should be more proactive as you are a likely candidate.
- Stress: Many would agree that stress is the top killer these days, and this will hold true even in the case of killing your hair.
- Chemotherapy: Those who undergo chemotherapy will be exposed to high levels of radiation, and one of the most common side effects of this is hair loss.
- Drugs: There are certain medications that can also have hair loss as a side effect, especially those that are used as blood thinners, birth control pills, and meds for hypertension.
- Diet: You also have to watch what you eat since your food consumption affects hair health. Iron and protein are two of the most important minerals to prevent hair loss.
- Medical Conditions: Some of the health problems that can speed up weight loss include anemia, lupus, diabetes, thyroid diseases, and iron deficiency.
- Ringworm: The presence of ringworm in the scalp will also lead to hair loss. This is a common occurrence for those who do not practice proper hygiene, especially for children.
Hair Products: Shampoos, conditioners, and hair styling products can contain ingredients that can also make you suffer from weight loss. Most of them can contain toxic chemicals that affect the natural composition of the hair.